Sunday, August 28, 2011

James Toback On ?The Gambler? Remake: ?Not Possible? Rudeness And Disrespect?

post thumbnail EXCLUSIVE: Imagine if you’d written a 1974 autobiographical masterpiece of a screenplay about compulsive gambling directed by Karel Reisz and starring James Caan. Imagine also if you just found out it was being remade by writer William Monahan, director Marty Scorsese, and actor Leonardo DiCaprio and no one told you. What is most incredible, and also despicable, is that neither the original studio Paramount nor the original producers Irwin Winkler and Bob Chartoff bothered to reveal they were going back to Toback’s creative well without him. On Saturday, Toback phoned me and asked if he could write about this surreal experience for Deadline Hollywood. Here in its entirety is his sadness and anger mixed with his trademark humor, against the backdrop of the late, great, and heady filmmaking days of that decade:
Close to 3 AM on this past Friday I got my daily call from my friend and LA housemate, Brett Ratner. I was at my desk working on my 22nd revision of the John DeLorean script I was hired by Reliance and Ratner to write with Ratner directing and the legendary Bob Evans producing. “What are you doing?” Brett asked. “What do you think?” I said. “This is by far the toughest script to get right of any I’ve written in 35 years.” “What about The Gambler?” “That was lightning fast and easy,” I said. “Of course, it was my own story.” “That’s not what I meant,” ... Read More »

Green Day Kevin Costner Wyclef Jean Drew Barrymore

No comments:

Post a Comment